It seems like every time I turn around there seems to be another virus that is going to kill me - Zika, SARS, Ebola, Bird Flu, etc. I never worried much about catching any of these. Heck, I can’t hit 3 numbers on a lotto ticket.
But one virus that does concern me is the Ransomware computer viruses - Cryptolocker, CryptoWall, and Locky to name a few. These viruses infiltrate your core data and encrypts it making your data useless. You can no longer open the files and there is no way to unencrypt them. If you are hit with one of these viruses, they are followed up by a message to send money for the encryption key. The amounts vary, anywhere from $300.00 to $10,000.00.
The worst thing you can do is pay the ransom.
- First, you are helping these criminal’s grow their enterprise.
- Second, you are letting them know you will pay them when they decide to come back for more.
- Also, there is no guarantee they will actually send you the key. You are trusting criminals to keep their promise…
- Finally, there is not a 100% proven method for shielding your data from ransomware. The best protection is to make it as difficult as possible to be infiltrated.
Technology Pointe uses multiple layers of defenses to mitigate these and other viruses. Our proactive approach has blocked these attacks time and time again.
But we need your help.
- One of the best preventions is to train employees not to open suspected email attachments.
- If someone does open a corrupt attachment, notifying us immediately can prevent the attack from spreading.
- We have had a couple of customers that have been actually infected with the ransomware virus, and we have had the solution each time.
- BACKUPS, BACKUPS, BACKUPS.
- With our Advanced Disaster Recovery solution we can restore the affected files back to within 1 hour of the infection.
So between our security measures and your due diligence, we can prevent or prevail these threats.